Today Mojang Studios is releasing a free Sustainability City map that invites players to come to life in a Minecraft town and explore some of the themes and goals in Microsoft’s Annual Sustainability Report.
This sustainable City map is available as a free download in both Minecraft Marketplace “Education Collection” and Minecraft: Education Edition where educators will be able to download six new lessons that will give them a sense of stewardship for the planet, from responsible forestry to waste management, learning about the components of a sustainable home, and exploring alternative electricity, and others:
- Sustainable food production: visiting a farm, grocery store, and recycling plant;
- Outflow order: water outflow, how biosolids contribute to fertilizer;
- Wasted to wanted: learn which materials are recyclable;
- Dependable forests: understand the social, economic, and environmental impacts;
- Sustainable home: visit and learn how to make a home made by sustainable materials;
- Alternative energy: learn about power lines and wind power.
Behind their mission to build a better world through the power of play is the Minecraft long history of supporting global environmental initiatives with partners like The Nature Conservancy and World Wildlife Fund.
Minecraft is used and played by more than 35 million students and educators in 115 countries who are licensed to use Minecraft: Education Edition in the classroom.