Computer science is a rapidly growing field that can make you rich. The job market for computer professionals is booming with the growing demand for technology in almost every industry.
Despite the trend of layoffs by major tech companies, projections show that the tech market will recover faster than we even expect. Technology is constantly evolving, and computer professionals and those with a technical mindset are driving this revolution. The skills we acquire in computer science can lead to high-paying jobs in a variety of fields, such as software development, data analysis and artificial intelligence.
In this post, we will look at how opting for a career in computer science gives a professional a chance of a good and secure future with a high-paying job and a successful career, according to Dev Internships.
How To Get Rich From Computer Science
1. Work At A Large Tech Company
According to data from Glassdoor, the average base salary for a software developer at Google is around $120,000 per year, while the average base salary for a software developer at Facebook is around $130,000 per year. However, senior developers and team managers can earn a lot more.
Additionally, as a developer at one of these companies, you’ll receive bonuses and stock options as part of your compensation package which can greatly appreciate as the company grows in value. Considering the high salary, large bonuses, and stock options, you can quickly earn enough to become rich if you keep your living expenses low and manage your money well.
2. Work At A Start-Up
On the other end of the spectrum, working at a budding tech company that has potential can also make you rich. In fact, if you end up at the right company at the right time and stick it out, this can be a much better option than working at a large tech company. Imagine working at Facebook when it was small and helping it grow until it went public.
The main reason why this can be a better option (why it can make you even more money) than working at an established company is that the stock you would receive as compensation has more growth potential.
However, there is also more risk with this option if you take a good portion of your compensation from stock options. If the company doesn’t grow into the next unicorn and perhaps even fizzles out, then your stock would become worthless.
3. Grow A Large Tech YouTube Channel
One of my favorite YouTube channels is Tech With Tim. He recently reached over 1,000,000 subscribers on his channel which is amazing. However, when he had just under 400,000 subscribers, he showed how much money his channel made.
At that point, his channel made more than $7,000 per month in ad revenue alone. Tim admitted that this wasn’t even the majority of the money that he earned from his channel. He made most of his YouTube income from affiliate sales and sponsored videos. Now that his channel has over 1,000,000 subscribers, I would guess he earns more than $50,000 per month.
Additionally, Tim has participated in and started other businesses that he is able to jump-start simply by mentioning them to his large audience. If you want to start your own YouTube channel, there are a few ways to potentially monetize it:
- Advertising revenue: As your channel grows in popularity, you can apply to join the YouTube Partner Program, which allows you to monetize your videos through ads.
- Sponsorships: As your channel gains traction, you may be able to secure sponsorships or brand deals to promote products or services related to technology.
- Affiliate marketing: You can also earn money by including affiliate links in your video descriptions, which allow you to earn a commission on any sales made through those links.
- Creating and selling your own products: As your channel grows, you can leverage your audience to sell your own products or services, such as an online course, e-book, or merchandise.
4. Create Your Own Business
As a Computer Science graduate, this is my dream. And the best part is that it’s totally possible to get rich by creating your own tech company. It’s happening now more than ever. Especially now that A.I. has become ubiquitous, it’s not difficult to leverage the web and A.I. to start a business and become rich.
Here are a few examples of AI-based companies that you could potentially create:
- A healthcare AI company that utilizes machine learning algorithms to improve medical imaging and diagnostic accuracy.
- A retail AI company that uses natural language processing and computer vision to improve the online shopping experience.
- A financial AI company that uses predictive analytics to help businesses and individuals make better investment decisions.
- A transportation AI company that uses real-time data and machine learning to optimize delivery routes and reduce fuel consumption.
- A manufacturing AI company that uses machine learning to improve quality control and predict maintenance needs for manufacturing equipment.
- An HR AI company that uses natural language processing and machine learning to improve the recruitment and performance evaluation processes.
- A security AI company that uses computer vision and machine learning to improve surveillance and detect potential security threats.
These are just a few examples, but there are many other industries and applications that AI can be used for. It’s important to research and identify the area that you have more knowledge or interest in and that you see a potential opportunity to solve a problem or improve a process.
5. Invest In Tech
The last way to get rich from Computer Science is to be an investor. Sometimes, it takes money to make money. And if you have money, tech is a great place to put it if you want it to grow. Granted, the tech sector is always shifting so you have to stay on top of trends and current news or risk your money going the way of MySpace.
One way to invest in the tech sector is to buy stocks in technology companies that you believe will perform well in the future. You can do this by opening a brokerage account and buying individual stocks, or by investing in technology-focused exchange-traded funds (ETFs) or mutual funds.
Another option is to invest in venture capital funds that focus on technology startups, which can offer the potential for high returns but also come with a higher level of risk. It’s important to do your own research and consult a financial advisor before making any investment decisions.