Microsoft is releasing its latest preview updates for supported versions of Windows 10. These updates are also known as ‘C’ and ‘D’ week updates, with the letter standing for the week of the month (Patch Tuesday, which is the second week of the month, is the ‘B’ week update). Being that all supported version of Windows 10 get the same bits, they’re all getting the same update today.
Specifically, the update is for Windows 10 versions 21H1, 20H2, and 2004, and KB5004296 will bring the build number to 19043.1151, 19042.1151, and 19041.1151, respectively. You can manually download it and these are the highlights:
- Updates an issue that prevents gaming services from opening certain games for desktop users.
- Updates an issue that prevents you from entering text using the Input Method Editor (IME). This might occur, for example, after startup if you have set the power options to shut down a laptop by closing its lid.
- Updates an issue that plays the sound for selecting something in a game loudly when you press the trigger button on a game controller.
- Updates an issue that prevents power plans and Game Mode from working as expected. This results in lower frame rates and reduced performance while gaming.
- Updates an issue that fails to detect that you are connected to the internet after you connect to a virtual private network (VPN).
- Updates an issue that causes printing to stop or prints the wrong output. This issue occurs when you print using a USB connection after updating to Windows 10, version 2004 or later.